2008-06-03

Web 2.0 is so last year...

Note: I'm still too busy to write full posts. I should be back to a normal schedule soon.

First there was the web, then Web 2.0, now there's Web 3Di...



Actually, it's a very insightful video. The problem is that 3Di is not just twice as hard as 2.0 it's exponentially harder. Increasing dimensions in a system exponentiates the complexity possible in a system. Now, I'm not just riffing on the name. Actually a decade ago I thought that 3D internet ala Second Life would be main-stream today. I even based my Graduate studies on this. My realization is that these things are actually much much harder than we realize. I think the next decade should see real web 3Di take off. That means really useful 3D web sometime between 2010 and 2020. If that time scale is too big for you... just ignore 3Di for now.

However, I look forward to the day that I can bring back my work in VR and marry it up to my Web based work. I may get to see that day sooner than I thought.