2007-12-18

Single Sign On with JBoss Portal and Active Directory

No one has asked for it but I've begun work on a SSO project when I'm between official projects. I discovered the power of Acegi and CAS. I have an install of the JBoss portal as well and that requires its own set up too... however it is looking like we are going to use Joomla instead.

I began with understanding how to talk to an ldap server (in my case Active Directory). Once I understood how to query LDAP I began searching around using my groovy scripts to find the object classes, and specific names I would need inside my CAS configuration.

I then followed this tutorial for CAS to authenticate the users:

Next I built in the CAS client into JBoss portal using this wiki page's instructions:

Finding the specific settings were hard. In particular I had to muck about with the ldap_identity-config.xml deep inside our jboss-portal.sar file... it turns out our AD setup is somewhat "special" and needed some extra care beyond what is in this page:

I have no idea how I would have figured out how to do that kind of configuration without that wiki page.

Once I managed to stitch together both sets of instructions I could have my users authenticate via CAS and then the portal would query roles on its own against Active Directory.

Next I'll investigate how to bring Groovy and Grails into this mix. I'll have a project for delivery in March that will need to hook into this SSO system... and likely subsequent projects to link into the CAS system using PHP and Perl.